How to Optimize Your Social Media Profiles: Part 1
Your social media profile is high-value real estate on each social mediaplatform.
Creating and optimizing your profiles is your first step towards engaging and growing your audience on today's most popular social platforms.
If you maintain a presence on more than one channel, it’s important to keepcertain elements consistent across platforms, to help with discoverabilityand establish trust. Below are tips on how to optimize your profile acrosseach social media platform, to best use that space to showcase your brand.
Tips to Optimize Your Profiles Across Social Media Platforms
There are basic branding elements you can choose across social mediaplatforms, that can make it easier for people to find and engage with yourpage. For example, when you use the same profile picture across platforms,it is easier for your followers from one channel to recognize your profileon other channels. However, be aware that each platform reaches different audiences. In some cases, you may choose to vary certain elements of your profile.Just make sure variations are an intentional, audience-specific choicerather than a branding mistake.
Some elements to develop for use across multiple platforms include:
- Profile Picture: Most social media platforms use a square (sometimes cropped to a circle) as your profile picture. Pay attention to the recommended image dimensions for each social platform. Brands often use their logo as the main profile picture, while individual influencers, thought leaders, or professionals use a flattering headshot.
- Your Handle / Username: When possible, use consistent usernames across profiles. The best username reflects both your brand name and your URL. This isn't always possible for well-established platforms; however, you may be able to purchase a username if someone already holds it. If you can't use a consistent name across all platforms, choose a name you can use on most and keep any other names as similar as possible.
- Cover Photo / Hero Image: Be aware, each platform has specifically recommended aspect ratios. Use the correct ratio for each platform so you have better control over the way your image appears. The general design including colors, use of logos and images should be the same across platforms.
- "About Me" or Bio Text: Keep the tone & phrasing consistent across platforms to reinforce your brand. However, each platform allows different word and character counts, so feel free to elaborate or condense where possible to maximize the space.
- SEO keywords: Google indexes major social media platform profiles, so your profile is an excellent opportunity to implement your most important SEO keywords and key phrases.
- Your Website Link : All major social media platforms offer the opportunity to link to your website. If you don't have a website, consider using this space to link to one of your strongest social channels.
- Location : You can benefit from including your location information as that makes it easier for local customers to find your profile and see your content.
- Cross-Promotion : Some channels offer the opportunity to link to your other social media profiles. Whenever possible, take this opportunity as it helps deepen your connection with your audience who may choose to follow your brand on other platforms. Facebook and YouTube both offer the opportunity to share links to other social media platforms.
Optimizing your social media profiles makes it easier for your customers to find you online. Creating a welcoming feed is essential, as it helps establish trustbetween you and your followers, and gives them a reason to engage with yourother online platforms. In Part 2 of this blog post series, we’ll sharetips on how to best tailor your approach and optimize your profile for someof the most popular platforms today - Twitter, Instagram, Facebook andYouTube.